Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Million Little Pieces L.A#2 10/3

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey tells the story of Frey's 6 week journey through rehabilitation and all the experiences that Frey acquired while trying to find his soul purpose in life. An alcoholic for years and a crack addict for 3 Frey documents every person, place and thing that is new to him.
Ultimately Frey chose to write this autobiography about his life because he wanted to share his life story with the world more so than anything really. In the end Frey was able to succeed trough the strength of will power and choice while sadly watching some of his closest friends around him die and or relapse and never come back.
I chose to read A Million Little Pieces because it was interesting to picture the things Frey lived with for 6 weeks as well as his strength in will power. This book seemed realistic in the sense that Frey's style of writing evokes emotion in his readers as well as efficiently describing what went on for him physically and mentally. Some of the people that Frey meets throughout the book hold many qualities that makes it easy for the readers to relate to because most of them refuse to give up on him including the girl he falls in love with in rehab named Lilly. Miles is the last friend whom happens to be an ex alcoholic that is the last of Frey's close friends. All of these people within Frey's book make it an interesting blend to write about for they all have their own ways as to why they have managed to plant their presence into Frey's life while at the rehabilitation center.
   After reading this book, I feel like I was able to get a glimpse into the world of James Frey in the sense that this book documents everything he as a person has gone through in order to be who he is today. I see Frey as an honest non-sugar coating kind of guy that will tell you the truth to anything. Most of the descriptions that Frey used when writing this book consisted of a journal like style including lengthy descriptions that helped the reader to visually imagine what Frey was trying to convey. 
   The two overall concepts that I will continue to remember after reading this book would be that everything you do in life as a person ultimately boils down to a choice, you can't have a scape goat for every action you make but instead must embrace that of your own responsibilities. The second thing that I will always remember would be simply that anything regardless of it being drugs, alcohol, sex,etc. can ruin your life, the strange part is that some of those things are so little however if we as individuals don't/can't understand what's going in inside of us emotionally, mentally and physically then we are pretty much helpless as to how we can help ourselves.

                                           Passages from A Million Little Pieces                                                        

  • “I turn and I slowly walk away and I don't look back. It has always been a fault of mine, but it is the way I am. I never look back. Never.”
    James Frey, A Million Little Pieces


  •  “This Girl with nothing but her own strength and a desire to be free. With nothing but a beating heart that is scared to be alone. With nothing but clear blue eyes that see through me and understand me. With nothing but open arms ready to receive me. To stand by me. To walk with me. To love me. I love her. Lilly. The Girl with nothing and everything. Lilly. I love her. A tear appears. She smiles. She leans forward kisses my lips softly kisses me and as our lips touch barely touch she whispers. I love you too, James. Our lips barely touching she whispers. I love you. Whispers. I love you.”
    James Frey, A Million Little Pieces 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment